Saturday 28 February 2015

brakes and handlebars

I'm really struggling on whether to replace or restore the brakes. I’ve seen some really nice replacements with a vintage feel, like the long reach dia compe brakes on this fantastic bates restoration 




I know the brakes on my bike would function 
with a grease and polish, but they’ll never be as shiny:


They are Dia Compe with a stamp of 0484M and a reach of 65mm

Now the brake levers and the handlebars are bizarre. 
I'm gonna take a punt that the levers aren't original because they're as ugly as sin.





So I'm guessing that someone has given it a makeover in the eighties with aluminium hub quick release wheels, maybe new derailleurs, gears and shifters and new brakes an brake levers. This is when they decided that bar tape would suit this pretty little girl: (I can't tell if it was red, pink or white!)


So I'm itching to take it apart. That'll be next week's blog. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment